If you are looking for the top architecture colleges
in India offering B. ARCH courses, then this blog post is for you. We will be discussing the admission process, curriculum and career prospects for those who wish to pursue a career in architecture. So, if you're interested in learning more about this field, read on.
Top Architecture Collages in India Offering B. ARCH Courses
There are several highly regarded colleges and universities in India where students can study architecture, including the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT Kharagpur), the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT Roorkee), the National Institute of Technology (NIT Calicut), the CEPT University (Ahmedabad), the School of Planning and Architecture (SPA Delhi), the Indian Institute of Engineering Science and Technology (IIEST Shibpur), the School of Planning and Architecture (SPA Bhopal), and the National Institute of Technology (NIT Trichy) etc.
In India, there are about 860 architecture colleges that provide these programmes in full-time, part-time, distance learning, online, and virtual classroom settings. These colleges offer courses leading to degrees, diplomas, and certificates. Out of these, the top 20 Architecture colleges in India ranked by NIRF offer degree courses in a full-time mode of study.
There are many architecture colleges in India, but only a few of the best have been identified by NIRF. The top 10 architecture colleges in India, according to the NIRF rankings, are listed below:
|| NIRF's 10 Ranking
| IIT Kharagpur
| IIT Roorkee
| NIT Calicut
| CEPT University, Ahmedabad
| SPA Delhi
| IIEST Shibpur
| SPA Bhopal
| NIT Trichy
| SPA Vijayawada
| JMI, Delhi
To be eligible
for admission to a B.Arch course in India, candidates must have completed 10+2 or equivalent examination with Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry as subjects from a recognized board or university. Candidates must also have secured a minimum of 50% marks in aggregate in the qualifying examination.
Candidates who have completed their Diploma in Architecture (3 years) after 10th standard are also eligible to apply for admission to the B.Arch course. However, they will be required to pass an entrance examination conducted by the respective institute.
Admission to B.Arch courses in India is mostly done through architecture entrance exams such as the Joint Entrance Examination(JEE)
Main Paper 2 and National Aptitude Test in Architecture (NATA)
. Some of the top institutes such as IIT Roorkee and IIT Guwahati consider only JEE Main Paper 2 scores for offering admission to their B.Arch courses, whereas NATA score is considered by most of the other colleges. The entrance examinations test candidates on topics like drawing, observation skills, general awareness, mathematics, and analytical ability. After qualifying the entrance exam, candidates will be called for a counselling session where they will be allotted seats in various colleges based on their rank in the merit list prepared by the authorities conducting the exam.
Candidates must keep the following documents ready for the admission process:-
- 10th and 12th mark sheets
- Transcripts of Diploma in Architecture, if applicable
- Scorecard of entrance examination
- Counselling call letter
- Passport size photographs
- Identity proof.
B. ARCH Course Curriculum
The B.Arch course is spread over a period of five years, with each year comprising of two semesters. The first semester of the first year is common to all branches of engineering and is devoted to foundation courses in mathematics, physics, chemistry, and professional communication. The second semester of the first year is when specialization in architecture begins. The subsequent four years are devoted to studies in various aspects of architecture and allied subjects.
- Semester 1: Basic Mathematics, Engineering Drawing, Physics, Chemistry
- Semester 2: History and Theory of Architecture I, Design Studios I & II, Environmental Studies, Graphics and Workshop
- Semester 3: Structures-I, Building Construction-I, Professional Practice-I, Surveying
- Semester 4: History and Theory of Architecture II, Design Studios III & IV, Landscape Architecture, Building Services
- Semester 5: Structures-II, Building Construction-II, Estimating Costing & Valuation, Town Planning
- Semester 6: Materials & Components of Construction, Electrical Science, Fluid Mechanics
- Semester 7: Architectural Heritage Conservation, Project Management & Entrepreneurship Development
- Semester 8: Housing .
Core Subjects Taught in the B. ARCH Course
Some of the core subjects that are taught in the B.Arch course are as follows:
- Building Sciences: This subject deals with the scientific principles involved in building construction like acoustics, lighting, thermal comfort etc.
- Design Studios: Students are required to undertake design projects in various areas like residential, commercial, institutional etc. These studios help students apply the theoretical knowledge they have acquired to real life design problems.
- Environmental Studies: This subject deals with topics like energy conservation, solar architecture etc which help students design buildings which are environmentally sustainable.
- History and Theory of Architecture: Students study the history and theory of architectural styles as well as important movements in architectural thought from ancient times till the present day.
There are a number of job roles that students who have completed their B. ARCH can pursue. Some of the most popular job roles include:
Architects are responsible for the design, planning, and construction of buildings and other structures.
• Interior Designer:
Interior designers are responsible for creating functional and visually pleasing interior spaces.
• Landscape Architect:
Landscape architects are responsible for the design and planning of outdoor spaces, including parks, gardens, and public areas.
• Urban Planner:
Urban planners are responsible for the development and management of urban areas. .
Some of the top recruiters of B.ARCH graduates include:
• L&T Constructions
• DLF Group
• Shapoorji Pallonji & Co Ltd
• Godrej Properties Ltd
• Oberoi Realty Ltd
The average salary of a B.ARCH graduate in India is INR 4-8 lakhs per annum. However, the exact salary will depend on factors such as experience, skills, location, and employer.
The field of architecture is constantly evolving and offers a plethora of opportunities for those who are passionate about it. The B.ARCH course is the perfect way to start your journey in this field and open a world of possibilities. The colleges mentioned above are some of the best in India when it comes to offering this course and providing students with the necessary skills and knowledge to succeed in their career. So, if you're looking to pursue a career in architecture, make sure to check out these top colleges in India offering the B.ARCH course!